Links for Patients
Forms & Policies
Physical Therapy Services in Charleston
Frequently Asked Questions
PURPOSE: To provide privacy and protection of Protected Health Information for Lowcountry Orthopaedics patients as set forth by the standards of the Health Information Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 sections CFR parts 160 and 164.I. Access:
- Access to Protected Health Information (PHI) by employee is limited by job specific duties on a need to know basis.
- Allowable disclosures of PHI are limited to Treatment, Payment, or Healthcare Operations at minimum necessary level.
- Other uses or disclosures or permitted or required by law:
- Public Health activities Disclosures about decedents (Coroner/Funeral Director)
- Health Inspection Agencies; WorkersÕ Compensation
- Judicial Proceedings Reporting abuse, neglect or domestic violence
- Law Enforcement purposes: Avert serious threat to public health of safety
- Specialized government functions (military or veteransÕ affairs)
- Release of PHI to any other source is prohibited without written consent of the patient or guardian.
- Medical Records are stored in an employee only access area.
- Building access is limited to the main entrance all visitors/patients must check in at Reception Desk
- After hours security is provided by Sonitrol Security Systems.
- Computer system information access is limited by job duties access level is determined by the Practice Administrator.
- Computer system security certification and ongoing control is provided by the practice management system, computer server programming, and the authority of the Practice Administrator.
- Business Associates are held accountable and required to sign agreements.
- Security Officer is responsible for oversight of security systems.
- Employees receive initial and ongoing training
- Employees sign confidentiality agreement
- Each employee is responsible and held accountable for compliance.
- The Privacy Officer is responsible to oversee privacy compliance.
- The Privacy Officer handles complaints and documents disposition.
- In conjunction with supervisor and practice administrator ensures violations of privacy policies are addressed.